Green Card Through Special Categories Jobs

Green Card Through Special Categories of Jobs

You may be able to become a permanent resident (get a green card) through a special job category. These adjustment programs are limited to individuals who meet particular qualifications and/or apply during certain time frames. 

For more information on the following categories of workers, see the links below:

Note: Special immigrant classification requirements vary widely and some may require the employer to file a Form I-360, Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant. Most of these categories are Fourth Preference (EB-4 classifications of different designations) and are either foreign national religious workers or employees and former employees of the U.S. government or benefiting the United States government abroad. The term “special immigrant” is given in the Section 101(a) (27) Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) to certain groups including many for employment-related activities.

For information on standard employment-based green cards, see our Green Card Through a Job page. For information on other special categories that may lead to permanent residence, see our Other Ways to Get a Green Card page.

Last Reviewed/Updated: