Green Card Refugee

Green Card for a Refugee

On this page you will find information on:

If you were admitted as a refugee, you are required by law to apply for a green card (permanent residence) in the United States 1 year after being admitted as a refugee. For more information on refugees, see our Humanitarian page.

Eligibility Criteria

You must apply for a green card 1 year after you are admitted to the United States as a refugee if you:

  • Have been physically present in the United States for at least 1 year after being admitted as a refugee
  • Have not had your refugee admission terminated
  • Have not already acquired permanent resident (green card) status

Application Process

To apply for a green card as a refugee, you need to file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.

Note: When permanent residency is granted, you will have your adjustment of status date recorded as the day you entered into the United States as a refugee.

Supporting Evidence For Form I-485

To apply for a green card, refugees should submit the following documents and information (in this order):

Family Application Process

You must prepare a separate Form I-485 application packet for each member of your family who wishes to obtain a green card.  All family members’ application packets should be mailed together in the same mailing envelope. To hold each application packet together, please use a single staple or a paper clip.

Change of Address

If your address changes, you must inform USCIS in writing within 10 days of moving.   This must be done for each family member.  Submitting a change of address for the head of household or a single member of the household only will not change the address for the other family members.  You may meet this requirement by:

Last Reviewed/Updated: