Green Card Through Job Offer

Green Card through a Job Offer

If you want to apply for a green card (permanent residence) based on the fact that you have a permanent employment opportunity in the United States, or if you are an employer that wants to sponsor someone for a green card based on permanent employment in the United States, you must go through the following processes.

Unless you are eligible to petition for yourself (see the “Green Card Through Self Petition” page), most employment petitions require a job offer and require that the employer petition for the worker.  Most employers petition for an employee using Form I-140, Petition for Alien Worker.  For more information on how to petition for an employee, see the “Working in the U.S.” page.

Application Process

If You Are Living Outside the United States
You can become a permanent resident through consular processing when living outside the United States. Consular processing is when USCIS works with the Department of State to issue a visa on an approved Form I-140 petition when a visa is available. For more information on consular processing, see the “Consular Processing” page.

If You Are Living in the United States
You can become a permanent resident through adjustment of status when living inside the United States. Once the I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker, is approved and a visa number is available you can apply on Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, to become a permanent resident. For more information, see the “Visa Availability & Priority Dates” and “Adjustment of Status” pages.

Supporting Evidence For Form I-485
You should submit the following evidence with your Form I-485:

  • Evidence of inspection, admission or parole into the United States (Form I-94, Arrival Departure Record)
  • If you have already been approved for an immigrant petition, submit a copy of the approval notice sent to you by the USCIS
  • Job offer letter from your employer
  • Two color photos taken within 30 days
  • Form G-325A, Biographic Data Sheet (for applicants between the ages of 14 and 79)
  • Form I-693, Medical Examination (not required if you are applying based on continuous residence since before 1972, or if you have had a medical exam based on a fiancé visa)
  • Form I-864, Affidavit of Support (completed by the sponsor)
    • This requirement will not apply to you if you are adjusting based on employment petition unless you or a relative own a percentage of the employer company
  • Any other evidence establishing eligibility 
Last Reviewed/Updated: